Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Week 5, Missionary Training Center, Provo, Utah


Next Stop:
Lyon, France
Bonjour mes amis,

This is it! My last week at the MTC. The time has gone by so fast. I have really loved the MTC and definitely want to work or volunteer here when I get back. But, for now, I can't wait to get to France. We got our travel plans and I am going from Salt Lake to Chicago to London and then to Lyon. I assumed that we would be going to Paris but I was really exited to find out that we get to go to London. Even if it is just the airport. The Elders going to Paris are going straight from Salt Lake to Paris so they are going to miss out on all the fun haha. One of the highlights of the week was seeing Elder Andrew Gibson. I thought he was coming last week so I was sad that I did not see him but then I saw him the day he came and have seen him a few times since. I was telling him how excited I was to get my travel plans because that is kind of a big deal around here. Then he was like oh cool I got mine today too! I did not think that was really fair because I have been waiting much longer for them but it was just funny. 


We signed up for hosting tomorrow which means we get to welcome the new missionaries that come and take them to their class. I am really excited to do that because we have not been able to yet. Last week we were teaching a volunteer and I found out that she knows the Tanners, my cousins, and even knows that my grandparents live in Idaho so she must know them really well. I am not really sure how she knows them because our conversation was all in French and I didn't get the chance to talk to her after. We also got to skype a lady from the UK this week for our practice lesson. It was funny because she would say some words in English that I had a hard time understanding because of her weird accent. 

So how did everyone like conference? I loved it! One thing I tried to do before was to write down questions I had and then look for the answer in the talks. I got all my answers in the first talk and more answers in almost every other talk. It was amazing! I hope all of you take the time to re read or watch the talks because they were all really good and had a lot of important messages. One thing I learned is the importance of the Plan of Salvation. God has a plan for each of his children to return to him. When I think about this plan is helps me be more positive and forget about myself. It makes me want to help others and help them understand God's plan for them and how it can bring us peace and happiness in this life and after we die. There is so much more amazing things I learned from conference but those will have to wait for another day. 

During one of the Saturday sessions of Conference they had an institute choir from Orem that was directed by the MTC choir director. He is an institute teacher but he also has a calling as the MTC choir director. We have choir on Sunday and Tuesday and then perform a new song every Tuesday for the devotional. I have gone to every choir practice and it has definitely been one of the highlights of the MTC. The director is super funny and gets us excited about the songs. He spends a lot of the time explaining the meaning behind the songs which helps us sing them with more power. It was fun seeing him in conference and seeing the Organist that came to the MTC last week. After one of the sessions the church showed a video about David Archuleta and his mission. At the end of the video it showed his visit to the MTC which I talked about last week. When they showed the video we all cheered when they got to the part the showed us. 

I leave the MTC on Monday and I don't know when my P-day will be in the field so it might be two weeks before I can email again. I think I will get to call home so be ready to get a call from me some time Monday morning. I am so exited to get to France and get to work. I know I have a lot to work on but I feel like my French is pretty good. I guess we will see. I feel like I know all the grammar well enough to form sentences now I just need to memorize a bunch of vocab. My teachers have been amazing and I really like the Elders in my district. My companion and I get along really well and I am going to miss all of them. Hopefully I will get to see them in the field. We also got a new district last week. There are two Sisters and two Elders. Elder Olsen and Elder Gonzolez. As far as we can tell Elder Olsen is not related to Berkeley Andrus.
Well until next time,
Elder Bake



Elder Bake














No comments:

Post a Comment